Click here to Download PDF file.
SG 4528-029CU-102V is a medium weight, conductive, surfacing film…
SG 4528-029CU-102V is a medium weight, conductive, surfacing film composed of a non-woven metallic copper mesh impregnated with a toughened epoxy resin plus an ultra light weight veil for outstanding surfacing capability. It is designed for lightning and shielding protection of aircraft, equipotential ground planes and as a counterpoise for antenna installations.
- 200ºF temperature cure capabilities
- Outstanding surfacing capabilities
- Low volatile content contributes to negligible surface porosity
- Excellent tack and handling properties for ease of lay-up
- Good environmental performance
- Compatible with a wide range of other epoxy prepreg systems
- Non-woven foil mesh qualified at many composite aircraft manufacturers
- Metal mesh capable of providing Zone 1A and Zone 2A direct effects lightning protection
- Provides a high degree of electromagnetic shielding for electric and magnetic fields associated with lightning and high powered radio frequency transmitters
Form: Modified epoxy impregnated non-woven mesh
Resin Weight: .045 psf typical (+or-.003 psf)
Resin Color: Dark gray opaque
Volatiles: Less than 1%
Metallic MC Mesh: Copper, 110(C11000)
Metallic Mesh Weight: .029 psf
Veil Thickness: .003” typical
Veil Weight: .002 psf
Prepreg weight: .064 psf typical
Separator: Paper release on the veil side, polyethylene release on the
metal mesh side
Out Time: 20 days at 75° F
Shelf Life: One year at 0° F
Four months at 40° F
Availability: 36” width
No Veil Edge: An optional 1” no veil edge is available for overlapping adjacent plies to maintain electrical continuity.
The purpose of this application procedure is to insure that the veil side of the prepreg is laid up so that it is the outer most ply of the part. The following procedure applies to a part laid up in a female mold.
1. Remove material from cold storage at least 20 hours prior to use to allow for stabilization at lay up temperature conditions. Keep the prepreg sealed to prevent moisture from condensing on the prepreg. If details are cut and replaced in cold storage, the prepreg must be placed in sealed containers. Shorter stabilization times can be used with these details.
2. Cut the material to size, peel back part of the release paper, this will expose the veil side of the prepreg.
3. Apply the prepreg to the mold starting at one edge and proceed in a rolling motion and peeling away the release paper as the prepreg is applied to the mold.
4. Next using a semi-flexible roller squeegee, and starting in the center, proceed in a uniform manner to push out any air pockets toward the outer edges. Alternately, palm hand pressure can be used to increase resin tack and effect conformability.
5. Remove the polyethylene from the prepreg by peeling it back over itself minimizing lift off. It lift off occurs or if any air pockets are noticeable, place the poly liners back over the area and use the squeegee or hand pressure to workout the air pocket.
6. Use your standard debulking procedure for 10 minutes.
7. Continue the prepreg lay up.
8. Debulking after each 3 plies is recommended.
SG4528-029CU-102V is designed to cure at 200°F. Cure at 200°F takes place in one hour.
Store prepreg at 0°F for maximum shelf life.
The prepreg resin can be removed from non-bonding areas with ketones or methylene chloride solvents. Be sure to follow all the material safety data sheet guidelines for the solvent to be used.
This material contains epoxy resins and amines, which may cause irritation to sensitive skin. Avoid contact with eyes or skin. If skin contact occurs, wash as soon as possible with soap and water. If contact with eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not handle this material until the material safety data sheet has been read and understood. The user of this material is required to use the necessary protective equipment as directed by the applicable state and federal laws when handling, curing, and grinding this material.
Information in this data sheet has been obtained under controlled laboratory conditions and is believed to be accurate. Properties listed are typical values and are not intended for use in preparing specifications. Actual values may vary. No warranty is expressed or implied for which APCM assumes legal responsibility. APCM cannot be responsible for misapplication or handling and use under conditions beyond its control and under no circumstances shall be liable for incidental or consequential damage resulting from handling or use of this material.
Manufactured by and in conjunction with Adhesive Prepregs for Composite Manufacturing, LLC
Click here to Download PDF file.